No friends, no exercise, no social life – and wholly content. My life was out of balance, sure, but I didn’t care. In fact, I wanted even more imbalance. Or a different kind of imbalance.
I wanted to dedicate every minute of every day to Blue Ribbon. I’d never been a multitasker, and I didn’t see any reason to start now. I wanted to be present, always. I wanted to focus constantly on the one task that really mattered. If my life was to be all work and no play, I wanted my work to be play. I wanted to quit Price Waterhouse. Not that I hated it; it just wasn’t me.
I wanted what everyone wants. To be me, full-time.
– “Shoe Dog“, Phil Knight
Have some good self-reflection on my flight back home.
The problem was not life-and-death – It’s about daily overcapacity and imbalance. I want to learn more (the world is changing quick!), I want to read more books (it clears my mind), I want to watch more quality movies (Here I meant really heading to the cinema), I want to expose myself to more interesting things, I want to write more quality posts in my blog (that’s partly why I want to read more books / watch more movies / be part of more interesting things), but at the same time I have to balance all my responsibilities well including the new ones (wife & new role at work) – it’s TWO whole new learning curves coming together, while I could just merely manage to keep pace in my original self…
In 2019, it won’t be easy at all. Work alone would already occupy 650% of my time and capability. How could I not burnt out?
I don’t want to become a zombie because I “want it have to all” and lose my charm (hurt my eyesight, hurt my health…etc). I don’t have enough time, clearly nor enough 精神, and what’s worse is I am now struggling to remember things in an alarming manner. I am actively seeking external tools to help myself in this overcapacity issue. Definitely need some sort of framework / guideline instead of letting things bounce around here and there.
Came up with some rough solutions:-
- Be less friendly & ruthless in schedule planning. Say no to all unnecessary time-wasting & time-consuming activities / appointments. Only attend meaningful / compulsory ones.
- Find good tools that could help me plan, memorize and follow up quickly with ease (Very angry that my company has blocked Evernote and Google Keep).
- Delegate, delegate, delegate. Don’t feel bad for delegating. They all got paid!
- Shower immediately once I step into home. Don’t procrastinate.
- Leave home at 7:45am in the morning. Sleep by 12:30am (ha.ha.ha.).
- Keep on reading, one book at a time; Make good use of commute time to read. Maybe make it the only window in the day for reading.
- Identify the unhealthy distractions in the day, cut them out.
- Say no to MOOC for now, way too time consuming. Let’s delay them to Year 2020.
- Once any appointment is made, add them immediately to the calendar. Don’t miss things out again.
- Please continue to flourish KKBOX song lists. It’s getting boring.
- USE COLOR CODING. I LOVE COLOR CODING.
- Don’t want myself to become a zombie, please stay charming, clean and tidy.